My primary field of expertise is the study of modern and contemporary Western esoteric currents. Topics that I have addressed in the past include Wicca, Thelema, Theosophy, and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. My current research deals primarily with the history of esoteric groups in the Soviet Union, especially during the late-Soviet period (1953 – 1991).
My interests include a wide gamut of theoretical problems related to the study of esotericism such as psychological dimension of esoteric practices and historical interactions between philosophy, science, and esotericism. On a more practical level, I am interested in mechanisms of construction of ideologies, issues of freedom of religion and belief, conspiracy theories, and religious fundamentalism.
2018 – Present: PhD candidate in Religious Studies, Rice University
- Dissertation topic: Seeking Spirituality in the Land of Atheism: Narrative Motifs and Cultural Functions in the Esoteric Underground of the USSR- TA for courses Religion 101, Mutants and Mystics, Religious Tolerance
- 2011 – 2015: Candidate of Sciences (PhD equivalent) in Philosophy, Moscow State University- Thesis: The Doctrine of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn as a Form of Western Esotericism and Religious Philosophy (in Russian)
- 2006 – 2011: Specialist degree in Religious Studies (with Honours), Moscow State University- Thesis: The Doctrine of Thelema: An Analysis in Philosophy and Religious Studies (in Russian)
2016 – 2018: Visiting Professor, Moscow Orthodox Institute, Faculty of Religious Studies
- Courses: Philosophy; 17th-19th Centuries Philosophical Thought; Modern Western Philosophy of Religion; New Religious Movements- Research advisor for BA and MA students in religious studies
2015 – 2018: Associate Professor, Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia, Faculty of Humanities
- Course: Philosophy- Creating and curating a philosophy club for students
2012 – 2015: Assistant Professor, Dmitry Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia, Faculty of Humanities
- Course: Philosophy
- 2011 – 2015: Candidate of Sciences (PhD equivalent) in Philosophy, Moscow State University